Please, please, please DO NOT attempt to run the program after reading only this overview. It would not be a good thing. Someone could get hurt. OK, so not really, but it really isn’t a good idea. Trust me on this one! Watch this video at least!
Start with initial assessments
- Administer the one-minute Writing Speed Test.
- Use the Goal sheet to select goals for each student based on writing speed.
- Begin the whole class at Set A or administer the Placement Probes.
Set in Place the daily routine
- Each student has the lettered sheet on which they’re working.
- Each student has an answer key packet.
- Students practice in pairs for two to three minutes each.
- Student says the facts and the answers around the outside of the sheet.
- Partner with answer key fixes up hesitations and errors.
- After two to three minutes the students switch roles.
- Students record their goal for the one-minute timing test inside the box.
- One-minute timing test inside the box is administered to the whole class.
- All students record the date for this try on the Rocket Chart.
- Students who pass — meet or beat their goal (previous high score):
- Turn in test sheet to the teacher for checking
- Move on to a new practice/test sheet the next day
- Color in their Rocket Chart and are recognized in some way
- Student who do not pass:
- Take home the current sheet for homework practice
- Work on the same practice/test sheet again the next day.
Routine for weekly two-minute timing
- Administer the same two-minute timing to all students working in an operation.
- Teacher times for two minutes
- Students correct each others’ two-minute timings.
- Teacher monitors students charting their scores on the Individual Student Graph.
- Teacher recognizes anyone who beats their previous best score.