Checklists have been found to improve accuracy and efficiency in everything from flying airplanes to brain surgery. Although implementing the Rocket Math Worksheet program is not anywhere near as difficult, this checklist of the things a teacher needs to do to get the program up and running may prove helpful.
Most of the items are linked to the directions for how to accomplish them and why they need doing. This document (without the pictures) is also on Google Drive.
- ____ Schedule 10-to-15-minute Rocket Math sessions at least once a day.
- ____ Choose a Learning Track for your class. (How to choose a Learning Track advice)
- ____ Set up the Math Facts crate for your chosen Learning Track and fill with worksheets.
- ____ Print out Four forms for each student and A-to-Z Answer booklets for the Learning Track.
- ____ Create folders for each student—fill with the four forms you printed in Step 4.
- ____ Set up students in partner pairs, with at least one hard-working student in each pair.
- ____ Come to understand the practice and correction procedure for yourself.
- ____ Make all your students model the correction procedure as you role play making errors.
GIVE THE WRITING SPEED TEST TO SET INDIVIDUAL GOALS
- ____ Give the Writing Speed Test (should be in their folders) and collect student folders.
- ____ Use the results to set individual goals on the Goal Sheet.
BEFORE EACH DAILY LESSON
- ____ Hand out student folders and recognize students who passed a level yesterday.
- ____ Give students time to color in their Rocket Charts for parts passed yesterday.
- ____ Give star stickers for the Wall Chart (if you have it) to students who have passed a level.
DURING EACH DAILY SESSION
- ____ Practice saying the problems and answers aloud while their partner corrects.
- ____ After two to three minutes, the students switch roles and practice again.
- ____ Give the 1-minute test to everyone, based on their current worksheet.
- ____ Collect student folders of students who have passed by meeting their individual goal.
AFTER EACH DAILY SESSION
- ____ Check to see that 1-minute tests are 100% correct and met their individual goal.
- ____ Replenish student folders with six copies of the next worksheet. Reuse unused worksheets.
- ____ Students who don’t pass take home worksheet and practice for homework.
EVERY WEEK OR TWO GIVE 2-MINUTE PROGRESS MONITORING TEST
- ____ Progress Monitoring tests numbered 1 through 5 at back of the math facts crate.
- ____ Skip practice that day. Give the test for 2-minutes.
- ____ Correct as a group: students chorally say the answers and mark their own papers.
- ____ Students graph the results in the Individual Student Graph stapled into their folders.